18 Jul 2014

Know the key to CAT topper's Success

CAT Topper: From 59 to 99+ percentile in CAT exam; Know the key to his Success
MBAUniverse.com

This article showcases the dedication and hard work of CAT topper Ankit Saxena. Starting from a modest 59 sectional marks in CAT Verbal Section, he was able to score 98.51 percentile in CAT verbal Section in next exam.

This year in mocks and actual CAT I tried a different strategy. I solved Q 1-15 first and then attempted the set backwards. This helped me solve the easy questions quickly in less time and increased my attempts.
There are students who get satisfied with whatever CAT percentile they get. For them 50 or 60 percentile is enough as they just want to get an MBA degree.
And there are other kind of people like Ankit Saxena who believe that satisfaction is the roadblock to improvement. For him being at the top is the ultimate goal. This is the reason that inspite of appearing for CAT exam in the past he made sure that he will take admission only when he has achieved one of the highest percentiles.
Starting from a modest 59 sectional marks in CAT Verbal Section, Ankit improved upon his preparation style, verbal skills and made sure that he achieves excellent sectional marks in verbal. With dedication and hard work, he was able to score 98.51 percentile in CAT verbal Section in next exam.
This article showcases the dedication and hard work of CAT topper Ankit Saxena who scored 99.52 percentile in CAT 2013.
If you are weak in a particular section or are trailing behind in CAT 2014 exam preparation, then follow the tips and suggestion by these CAT toppers to re-structure your CAT 2014 preparation schedule.

CAT Topper Ankit Saxena Interview:
Q.1 What was the CAT 2013 prep strategy
Ans : I have taken CAT 4 times and every time I scored well in Quant section but ultimately a very low percentile in VA section dragged down my percentile every time. This year I decided to give a lot more emphasis to VALR section. I decided to complete Wren n Martin and then practice and apply those concepts in various mock series. This definitely helped me a lot in improving my VALR score from mere 59%ile in CAT'12 to 98.51%ile in CAT'13. I used to practice and solve a lot of questions on VALR. Basically I identified the section of CAT in which I felt I was very weak and then focused to improve upon it.

Q.2 What was the strategy in testing room to attempt the question from different sections: Quantitative Ability & DI, Verbal Ability & LR?
Ans: Based on my experience mocks and actual CAT, I found that many a time the easiest questions are placed towards the end of the set. If I went on solving the questions serially, I often missed out on 1-2 questions that were framed at the end of set. This year in mocks and actual CAT I tried a different strategy. I solved Q 1-15 first and then attempted the set backwards. This helped me solve the easy questions quickly in less time and increased my attempts. This gave me some confidence boost in the exam room. In CAT'12 I spent too much time on one question that was from my strength part. Because of this I was not able to complete the set. This year I decided not to spend more than 2-3 mins on any question. If I am not able to solve, I will move on to the next.
In VALR section, I attempted LR first as it gave a confidence boost to me.

Q.3 Apart from CAT which other exams did you appeared? How did you prepare for them after CAT?  What score did you get?
Ans: Apart from CAT, I appeared for XAT. In XAT I scored 89.xx %ile, due to my low efficiency in DM section. XAT is quite different from CAT as it has DM section and comparatively difficult quant questions. I was not able to study and prepare well for XAT due to my job commitments.

Q.4 How many GDPI did you take part in?
Ans: I took part in 9 GD/PI Process. These were IMT-G, XIMB, New IIMs, IIM-S,IIT-B,IIT-D,MDI,FMS,NITIE

Q.5 The institutes that offered you admission
Ans: All 6 new IIMs, IIT-B, IIT-D, MDI

Q.6 Which is the institute that you have decided to take admission and why?
Ans: I have taken admission in MDI, Gurgaon. I decided this on the basis of certain parameters:
1) Well established infrastructure
2) Strength of Alumni Base
3) Well renowned faculty
4) Industry Interaction
5) Perception of brand MDI in the industry
6) Consistently ranked amongst top-10 B Schools in India

Q.7 What advice and tips you would like to share with the candidates preparing for CAT 2014?
Ans: My advice to CAT 2014 aspirants is first find out your strong and weak areas. Focus on your weak areas as much as you can and keep practicing on your strong areas in parallel. Give a lot of mocks, as many as possible. Analyze each mock w.r.t. where you went wrong in attempting a particular type of question, whether your approach to the question was correct or not.
Last but not the least, keep calm and practice as much as possible. Always believe in yourself.

Q.8 Your message to CAT 2014 aspirants.
Ans: CAT tests your ability to solve not so tough questions under a limited time-frame and immense pressure. Try to balance the pressure and tough nature of CAT by self-confidence, hard work, practice and you will be through.

No comments:

Post a Comment