To pursue the goal of scoring a high percentile in CAT 2014, the small but important section of Logical Reasoning carrying 10-11 questions clubbed to Verbal Ability will play an important role in CAT 2014 with a percentile weightage upto 70. If you are focused on various types of LR questions and can crack them, success in CAT 2014 will no longer be a dream.
Follow the Important Guidelines
CAT aspirants should solve LR questions based on Arrangements keeping in mind the following points–
1. Read the question attentively and carefully. Do not skip even a single word
2. Imagine the situation and try to form a shape to incorporate the given information
3. The information given in the question must be thoroughly understood and no assumptions other than the provided facts or information should be made
4. Get the direct and indirect clues that could be used to quickly arrive at the correct answer option
5. The words like ‘Whether’, ‘if’, ‘unless’, ‘always’, ‘usually’, ‘only’, ‘all’, ‘few’, ‘some’,’other than’, ‘none’ etc. must be understood in their correct context, as they play a key role in arriving at the answer.
6. Conclusion will either definitely follow the given information and so will be a valid conclusion or it wiil not definitely follow the information and so will be invalid conclusion. It must be remembered.
7. Check the answer options on the basis of the drawn figure and if it matches your answer, you are right, if not, go for elimination method.
Study the information below and answer questions based on it.
How to analyse the given information
According to the given statements following information is available and can be drawn as follows –
P-S U S-P; now you have road in between, so, across the road – R-T Q T-R
Since the statements – VII to IX clarify - P U(Orange)
R(Yellow) Q (Green), Or, much better will be to form a table on the basis of the given information-
Taller than U (5th)
Taller than R (4th)
Taller than P (3rd)
Taller than S(in A-1) and taller than Q (in A-2)
The Tallest (as given)
1.T is therefore opposite to S and the colour of S is Red, while colour of P is white, so colour of T is blue.
2. U will be the shortest house situated opposite the green coloured house Q
3. The order of the houses in ascending order is clear as per the table
Picking out the right answer options – Now, we have entire information in chronological order and can answer the questions as follows –
Answer to question-1 – S is diagonally opposite to R ( the house with yellow colour) and the colour of S is Red, so option( 4)-Red is the correct answer.
Answer to question-2- Option-(5) –cannot be determined-should be the answer since either Q or S could be the 2nd tallest house.
Answer to question-3- Option-(2)-Since T is the tallest house which is situated opposite to S(the red coloured house and we have already determined the colours of all other houses except Blue) the colour of T is Blue(look at the table)